The IEEE International Conference on Data Science and Advanced Analytics (DSAA) will offer a limited number of Next Generation Data Scientist (NGDS) Awards to full-time research students and early-career researchers who have just got doctorate degrees within five years to the application (ECR for short). The NGDS Award is very prestigious, it is the only one in the world that supports the production of qualified data scientists.
One of critical challenges facing the era of data science lies in the significant gap between the increasing data scientist job requirements and the limited availability of qualified data scientists. The purpose of offering this NGDS award is to encourage young talents to conduct foundational research and applied innovation work in Data Science and Analytics.
The NGDS awards will be sponsored by some of DSAA sponsors. Each NGDS awardee will receive USD1,000. All full-time students and ECR with the acceptance of long-presentation papers at DSAA are encouraged to apply.
Selection criteria of NGDS
DSAA wants the NGDS Award to be prestigious and selective, hence the criteria for NGDS candidate selection are rigorous. This may involve the following aspects:
- A strong track record in terms of theoretical contributions, business impact and/or educational performance, which are quantifiable and outstanding;
- A reachable five-year career plan for significantly contributing to the data science community in terms of research, innovation, applications and/or education;
- Strong referee reports from three recognized data scientists;
- Strong recommendation from the candidate’s department or supervisor.
How to submit a NGDS application?
The NGDS Award is announced in alignment with every year DSAA conference. The submission deadline can be found from the current DSAA conference website.
A NGDS candidate should submit an application to the NGDS award chairs, which includes:
- NGDS Award Application Form (download the NGDS application form) to address
- Applicant information;
- Response to the above selection criteria;
- Title, authors and track record of DSAA publications and attendance;
- Resume with affiliation, education background, publications, projects, cases of impact, awards etc.;
- Certificate showing student/ECR staff ID and full time study/working status
- Three referee reports with referee’s contact details and signatures;
- Registration confirmation received from DSAA’20xx
- A recommendation letter from head of department or supervisor on organization letterhead;
All application materials should be zipped into a file titled “20xx_NGDS_Applicant Last Name_ First Name.zip” and submitted to NGDSaward@dsaa.co. Successful candidates must register and attend DSAA’20xx, otherwise the award will be given to other candidates in the list.
All documents should be in PDF and attached to the email. Late submissions, or documents in other formats will not be accepted.
Any inquiries and questions should be addressed to NGDSaward@dsaa.co.